Every girl knows and understands the struggle of PMS - Premenstrual syndrome - symptoms; that dreaded time of the month that leaves us feeling moody, bloated and all-round ick. There are some over-the-counter medicines to minimise this ‘ick’iness but they may have side effects.
There are a variety of healthy methods that can help decrease symptoms of PMS. These include things like:
Mix up your eating habits! Eating smaller, more frequent meals that are high in complex carbs (e.g. veggies, fruits and whole grains) as well as foods like nuts and seeds. It is recommended to avoid salty food as well; these can result in fluid retention which leads to bloating. Other foody tips include:
- Consume calcium-rich foods like milk, broccoli, cooked kale, yogurt and kefir.
- Eat leafy green veggies – these are rich in magnesium, calcium and vitamin K which are necessary nutrients for nerve and muscle function especially helpful during the menstrual cycle.
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol (yes, that includes espresso martinis!).
- Avoid foods that are rich in hydrogenated and trans fats as well as any food allergens and refined sugars.
Sweat it out! Aerobic exercise is great to help alleviating depression, mood swings and fatigue relating to PMS. This doesn’t mean you have to run a marathon! A brisk walk or a swim can do the trick.
Get the zzz’s: Sleeping well is important all month round but particularly when you’re on your period. Aim for 7-8 hours sleep per night to help with energy levels.
Hydration stations: Aim to drink 8-10 glasses of water throughout the day. Get sipping sister!
Find your zen: Try out some basic meditation exercises to help relieve stress and tension.
- Ask us WhatSUP: Our SUP TTOM is a specific formulation to help you ride the ‘crimson wave’ with minimum ‘ick’.
There are so many healthy methods to help decrease the symptoms of PMS. We have formulated a product that takes inspiration from these healthy methods to help reduce menstrual bloating and cramps, moodiness and other symptoms to make that time of the month (TTOM), a little bit easier.
Try TTOM today and let us know how it goes!